LP Smart Siding is a beautiful and hard-wearing product, that will make your home the envy of the neighborhood. After Young Construction has installed your LP Smart Siding, all you have to do is follow a few very simple care instructions to keep it in show day condition. Follow the instructions and principles outlined in this reading, and you can’t go wrong!
Inspecting Your Siding
Carefully check your siding, on all sides of the house, at least once a year. Keep your eyes open for the following:
- Cracking, peeling, fading or chalking in the paintwork. Touch up if necessary(See below for painting instructions)
- Cracking or missing sealant in all joints and seams
- Blockages or damage in gutters and flashing
Cleaning and Painting
All cleaning of your LP Smart Siding should be done with a brush and a solution of mild detergent. Scrub gently from top to bottom, rinsing with water as you go. Do not use a pressure washer,as this can be very damaging to the engineered wood siding.
To repaint, first, wash the surface as outlined above, then, use a 100% acrylic latex paint, semi-gloss, satin finish or alkyd paint. If you want to use a flat alkyd, please check that the coating you’re planning to use is acceptable on wood substrates. You may use a brush or sprayer to apply the paint, and two coats will most likely be needed.
Prevention is always better than repair. Pay attention to the following:
- Fill in construction dents and gouges with an approved sealant
- Make sure hoses or sprinklers do not spray directly on your siding and check that all gutters effectively divert water away from it
- Keep the painted surface free of mold, mildew, and algae
- Ensure that the siding is a minimum of six inches above the ground
- Maintain a half inch per foot slope away from the house so that water drains away effectively
- Replace missing or damaged caulking around the joints and seams where different surfaces meet, using an approved sealant
- Repaint your siding before the existing coat fails